Claire Sweeney has warned parents of the dangers of an online gaming site after she says son Jaxon was targeted by thieves.
The actress, 51, issued a warning on Twitter on Monday (26 December) about the potential risks of letting children play online game Roblox.
Claire’s seven year old son Jaxon was playing the online game when she saw that he had been sent a message telling him to tell the scammers her credit card details.
Explaining the incident on Twitter, Claire said: “Parents out there, anyone’s kids play Roblox?
"Yesterday my son was playing, and I saw on the chat in the corner,someone was asking him to go to my purse,take out my credit card and read the numbers!!
"@Roblox seems a dangerous place for kids. Thankfully he told me!”
Claire was flooded with messages from other parents sharing their concerns, including presenter Jeremy Vine.
He wrote: “Did a piece on this @BBCRadio2! Horrible stories.
“One 13yr-old encouraged to run away from home to meet ‘a teenage girl’ who turned out to be a large man in the Czech Republic."
Claire replied: “Your show was brilliant, @HayleyHassall read article. Chatted to my son about Roblox. Then this happened yesterday.
“They said they knew everything about him, his age,name ect. Then asked him to go to my purse, get my credit card and send the numbers. user name was ‘Unfortunate’.”
Roblox is an American online game with a huge young fanbase, with half of its players reportedly under the age of 16.
The site allows players to create their own avatar and create their own games or play those created by other users.
According to Roblox, there are 150 million active users each month, with millions of people playing at any given time.
The game hit headlines earlier this year when Kim Kardashian said her son Saint, 6, discovered a game on Roblox apparently advertising an unreleased sex tape of the star.
During an episode oftheir newly rebooted show , The Kardashians, Saint was playing the popular online game Roblox when he showed Kim an online character who was messaging him and threatened to release an unseen tape of her.
“The last thing I want as a mum is for my past to be brought up 20 years later,” a panicked Kim said. “It’s real embarrassing s**t. I need to deal with it, and will deal with it.”
Kim – who also has children North, eight, Chicago, four, and Psalm, two, with her ex-husbandKanye West– is then seen on the phone with her lawyer as she insists she’s “99.9 per cent sure no other tape exists”.
“If my son was a little bit older and old enough to read… I was mortified,” she said. “I would’ve died inside.
“For 20 years this has been held over my head. This mistake, or is it a mistake? It was my boyfriend of years. It’s embarrassing for it to be out there, but it’s not the most scandalous thing and I’m not going to be made to feel that way. I’m just human.”
Kim continued: “I’m protecting myself, my reputation and my children.”
Click here for today's top showbiz news
Piers Morgan's Twitter nightmare as account is hacked and shares X-rated Queen comment
Marnie Simpson 'feeling like herself again' after 2st weight loss transformation
I'm A Celebrity's Edwina Currie rushed to hospital after freak accident with dog
For the latest showbiz exclusives, sign up to our daily OK! newsletter
Source: Read Full Article