• Sat. Oct 23rd, 2021

John Barrowman 'is AXED from Dancing On Ice by ITV'

Oct 3, 2021

John Barrowman will NOT return to Dancing On Ice for third year – five months after actor apologised for exposing himself on Doctor Who set in historic incidents

  • The entertainer, 54, who joined the show last year, previously admitted to ‘tomfoolery’ on the sets of Doctor Who and Torchwood 
  • A source said: ‘This will be devastating for him. Clearly ITV feel it’s not a good look to have someone like John centre-stage on a family­-friendly show’ 
  • An ITV spokesperson said: ‘We thank John Barrowman for two brilliant years on the Dancing on Ice panel and are pleased to be working with him again as host of the forthcoming All Star Musicals specials’ 
  • A representative for John said: ‘John is thrilled to be returning to work for ITV as host on the new All Star Musicals’ 
  • No charges were brought against the media personality after allegations about him exposing himself were revealed 
  • John previously said his behaviour on set was to ‘defuse awkwardness’ whenever he was filming a sex scene in Torchwood 
  • The actor added he can now see his behaviour was ‘juvenile’ and it would not be something he would do today 

John Barrowman has reportedly been axed from his judging role on Dancing On Ice by ITV after he apologised for exposing himself on the set of other shows.

The entertainer, 54, who joined the show last year, previously admitted to ‘tomfoolery’ on the sets of Doctor Who and Torchwood where he played Captain Jack Harkness. 

A source told The Sun: ‘This will be devastating for him. Clearly ITV feel it’s not a good look to have someone like John centre-stage on a family­-friendly show.’

Axe: John Barrowman has reportedly been axed from his judging role on Dancing On Ice by ITV after he apologised for exposing himself on the set of other shows (pictured in January 2021)

An ITV spokesperson told MailOnline John will be seen on the channel again when he returns to host All Star Musicals.

They said: ‘We thank John Barrowman for two brilliant years on the Dancing on Ice panel and are pleased to be working with him again as host of the forthcoming All Star Musicals specials.’

A representative for John said: ‘John is thrilled to be returning to work for ITV as host on the new All Star Musicals.’

No charges were brought against the media personality after allegations about him exposing himself were revealed following more serious allegations of sexual harassment against his Doctor Who co-star Noel Clarke.

Past: The entertainer, 54, previously admitted to ‘tomfoolery’ on the sets of Doctor Who and Torchwood where he played Captain Jack Harkness (pictured in 2020)

Clarke apologised ‘deeply’ for his actions and said he will be seeking professional help, but has ‘vehemently’ denied sexual misconduct or criminal behaviour.

In an interview with Weekend magazine, John said his behaviour on set was to ‘defuse awkwardness’ whenever he was filming a sex scene in Torchwood.

He said: ‘As Captain Jack Harkness I was the star of Torchwood, so I felt it was down to me to lead the company and keep them entertained. When I was doing a nude scene or a love scene it was clear in the script I’d be naked and everyone would have known about that at least 48 hours in advance.

‘So I’d be waiting in my trailer wearing just a robe with a sock over my “parts”. Then, if I were standing waiting to film a scene where I needed to be nude and someone came into view, I’d make a joke to put them and myself at ease. My actions were simply designed to defuse any potential awkwardness among the cast and crew.’

He added: ‘I’ve never been someone who’s embarrassed about his body so it didn’t bother me if anyone saw me naked. The motivation for what I’d call my “tomfoolery” was to maintain a jokey atmosphere. There was absolutely nothing sexual about my actions and nor have I ever been accused of that.’

A source said: ‘This will be devastating for him. Clearly ITV feel it’s not a good look to have someone like John centre-stage on a family­-friendly show’

John revealed he was called for a meeting with Doctor Who and Torchwood executive producer Julie Gardner who told him to reign in his behaviour.

The actor added he can now see his behaviour was ‘juvenile’ and it would not be something he would do today.

It comes after John told The Guardian his ‘high-spirited behaviour’ was ‘only ever intended in good humour’ to entertain colleagues on set and backstage – and not sexual harassment as he apologised for his past behaviour.

‘With the benefit of hindsight, I understand that upset may have been caused by my exuberant behaviour and I have apologised for this previously,’ he said. ‘Since my apology in November 2008, my understanding and behaviour have also changed.’  

Show: An ITV spokesperson told MailOnline John will be seen on the channel again when he returns to host All Star Musicals (pictured in March 2021)

In May, Tory MP Alec Shelbrooke told The Sun on Sunday that the ice-skating competition is a ‘family show’ and so the actor should not be a part of it.

Shelbrooke claimed: ‘Inappropriate behaviour like this is not acceptable no matter what the circumstances. ITV and the BBC have a responsibility with the standards they set.

‘Dancing On Ice is a family show and ITV shouldn’t be willing to indulge this behaviour in any way.

‘It’s incumbent on broadcasters to show they are not condoning such behaviour in any way.’ 

Explanation: John said his ‘high-spirited behaviour’ was ‘only ever intended in good humour’ to entertain colleagues on set and backstage – and not sexual harassment (pictured filming Doctor Who in 2007)

John broke his silence that same month, taking to Instagram to share a video with fans from the garden of his Palm Springs home.

He said: ‘Hi everybody, it’s John here and I just want to say thank you very much to all of my fan family and everybody who has reached out with the countless messages of support over the last few weeks.

‘It has meant such a great deal to me and has really touched me to know that people are supporting me and standing by me and sending their love and all their appreciation and kind words.’

He signed off his message by saying: ‘Hopefully we will all be back together soon and I look forward to it. Much love and thank you.’

Speaking out: In May,  the actor broke his silence in an Instagram video thanking fans for their support 

Source: Read Full Article