Homeless families are facing removal from their emergency accommodation in Enfield when Beyonce performs a series of concerts in north London.
Up to 30 families are reportedly set to be removed from Enfield Travelodge – which has acted as a temporary home for people, in some case for months, when the chart-topper performs at nearby Tottenham Hotspurs Stadium.
Beyonce is set to perform multiple shows between May 29 and June 4.
Enfield Council has not extended the booking of around 100 rooms used to house homeless families and individuals – bookings which make up around two-thirds of the available accommodation in the Travelodge.
According to The Guardian, some families are living four to five people to one room, and now face being moved to another hotel as their booking ends around the time of the concerts.
Families have told how the council regularly waits until the very last day of their booking to extend, with Travelodge rooms only available to be booked for 28 days at a time before extensions must be made.
Latest London news
- A hamster has been rescued after being abandoned on a London bus
- Man, 28, charged after dogwalker and her golden retrievers killed in crash
- £10,000 reward in new appeal on 25-year anniversary of girl’s disappearance
To get the latest news from the capital visit Metro.co.uk’s visit Metro’s London news hub.
Homeless individuals and families have previously been made to leave the hotel to temporarily go to other accommodation further out when the council failed to extend the booking in time, those affected told the outlet.
It’s understood the local council have concerns about the ‘impact’ Beyonce’s tour could have on homeless families staying in the nearby hotel, however families are concerned about packing up their lives potentially being forced to take children out of school if they are brought to other temporary accommodation further afield.
One woman, Colette, lives in one room with her four-year-old daughter and twin sons, two, who have autism; she was told on Monday that she would be moved to Hertfordshire this week and would not return until June 4.
Many families and individuals have been staying in emergency accommodation at the Travelodge far beyond the six-week legal limit.
An Enfield council representative said they ‘do our utmost’ to find suitable accommodation with ‘as little disruption as possible’ when Enfield Travelodge is unable to offer rooms to homeless people.
They added that they accept hotel accommodation is ‘not ideal for families’ and the UK needs ‘action to address the fundamental shortfall of affordable housing.’
A Travelodge spokesperson told Metro.co.uk:’We have been working with Enfield Council for many years to provide short term accommodation. All parties understand that this is a temporary arrangement until the Local Authority can find a more permanent solution.
‘At present we do have ample availability at our Enfield and nearby hotels for the dates in question that the Council are welcome to book. Our rooms are subject to availability but we will always try our utmost to support Enfield council where we can.’
Legendary musician Beyonce has been exploring the UK since performing her first show in Cardiff earlier this month, and has shared snaps posing before the London Eye and taking in afternoon tea with husband Jay-Z.
The famous couple made headlines this week when they apparently dropped $200,000,000 on a Malibu mansion dubbed the ‘most expensive’ house ever sold in California.
Beyonce is also said to own a Bel-Air mansion with her husband, bought in 2017 for a cool $88m (£70m) – it now has a reported value of more than $100m.
The star also treated her entourage to a massive order of Nando’s, reported to have spent £1,800 on 110 chicken burgers, 90 pittas and nine chicken thighs.
It’s little more than pocket change for Queen Bey, who is predicted to earn a jaw-dropping £1.6 billion with the Renaissance World Tour.
Forbes has estimated that mum-of-three Beyoncé could be looking at a profit of over $2bn (£1.6bn), noting that estimates are based on ‘optimistic’ assumptions.
Considering it’s Bey’s first tour in six years, and how quickly tickets were snapped up – not to mention the amount of merch being bought at the stadiums – we reckon the ‘optimistic’ assumptions will be reached.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.
Source: Read Full Article