WEARING a face mask is now compulsory in Britain when you're travelling on public transport or visiting shops.
And since buying box after box of disposable masks is bad for the environment as well as your purse strings, we've picked out some of the best reusable face mask designs you can buy right now.
A post shared by Poppy Delevingne (@poppydelevingne)
When do I have to wear a face mask?
Face coverings are mandatory on public transport in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, including buses, trains and taxis.
Face masks are also now mandatory when visiting hospitality locations including restaurants, bars and pubs, except when sat at a table to eat and drink.
Other locations include barbers, hair salons nail bars and many more, check out the latest government guidance for the full list.
For the latest government guidance on staying safe outside your home, including details about the risk of fines for not wearing a face covering, visit the official government website here and select your area of the UK.
How should I care for my reusable face mask?
Be sure to visit the WHO website for the latest guidance on how to wear your face mask, including washing it after each use.
Are reusable face masks better than disposable ones?
In terms of which is 'better', both masks offer the same level of protection, trapping droplets that are released when you talk, cough or sneeze.
However, it's definitely more economical and environmentally friendly to choose a reusable mask.
That's because rather than throwing it away after each use, as with a disposable mask, reusable face masks can be washed and reused.
1. We've tested: Lululemon's Double Strap Face Mask
- Double Strap Face Mask 1Pack, £10 from Lululemon – buy here
Available in 16 colours, from Asphalt Grey to Plumful, Lululemon's Double Strap Face Mask is designed for use on the move, securely held in place by two adjustable straps.
Cut from moisture-wicking, quick-drying Ultralu fabric, this mask is for those sweaty shopping trips, brisk walks and running errands when you need a comfortable face covering.
We took it for a test run to see if the unique double-strap and sporty fabric is worth paying £10 for.
After pulling both straps over our head, we decided it was too tight so we simply loosened them, then placed the upper one over our ears – once you've found the perfect adjustment, it's comfortable yet firmly fixed on your face. We imagine it would even stay put if you were to hang upside down, if that situation ever occurred.
There's a curved front which allows breathing space, plus it feels really secure as it rises higher than other masks on the market, and the fabric is smooth and stretchy.
We opted for Plumful which wasn't as bright pink as it looks on the site, so if we were to buy it again we would definitely choose one of the darker tones.
2. We've tested: ISKO Vital's Supreme Face Cover Shibori White
- Supreme Face Cover Shibori White 3-pack, £17.95 from Amazon – buy here
As the world's largest producer of denim, ISKO has been developing innovative fabrics and textiles for over 100 years, so we were intrigued to hear about the company launching its own range of eco-friendly, washable face covers.
The masks, which come in a range of nine colours and three sizes, can be reused for up to 30 washes and feature the trademarked sanitized antimicrobial material protection—a technology that delivers silver ions to the face mask surface and is claimed to be able to kill 99% of micro-organisms.
It's approved as non-toxic (plus the masks are made from organic cotton and latex-free straps), but one thing we noticed with these masks is that they do tend to be quite strong-smelling upon first opening—so you might prefer to wash yours before the first use.
Aside from that, we found the masks to be super comfortable and breathable, and we definitely felt less claustrophobic wearing them, compared to other masks we've tried.
3. We've tested: Casetify
- Reusable Cloth Mask in white, £12 from CASETiFY – buy here
- Reusable Cloth Mask in blue, £12 from CASETiFY – buy here
- Reusable Cloth Mask in black, £12 from CASETiFY – buy here
- Reusable Cloth Mask in pink, £12 from CASETiFY – buy here
Made from cotton and in a choice of block colours, these reusable cloth masks by tech accessory brand CASETiFY include a donation of an FDA-approved surgical mask to a health worker in need.
So far they've donated 35,000 masks to Direct Relief and will continue to do so for every one of these masks sold. One for you, one for health workers: what could be better?
We tried them out to see if they're comfortable, breathable and worth £12.
First off, we have to mention how soft the cloth really is, it's lightweight and stretchy, making for a really comfortable day-in-day-out mask for running errands.
As the fabric is quite thin, you can slightly see the outline of your nose when wearing it, but not enough for that to be an issue.
We were surprised just how breathable they are, as each mask rises up high enough to properly cover your nose, and low enough to cover your chin too.
Pink is definitely our favourite design, but opt for black as a versatile option that won't get stained easily.
4. We've tested: Under Armour Sports Mask
- UA Sportsmask, £26 from Under Armour – buy here
This in-demand face mask from Under Armour sells out quickly, so you might want to grab it whilst you can.
Complete with a moulded shape, heat-dispersing anti-microbial lining, and an adjustable nose bridge – the UA Sportsmask is impressively crafted for working out – we took it for a test run… literally.
The quality of is worth mentioning, from the padded lining, to the soft and stretchy Iso-Chill ear loops, and silver Under Armour branding on the front.
In terms of comfort: 10/10. There's soft wiring around the top so that you can mould it to suit your nose, and the straps stay fitted however much you move.
We wore this mask to go for a run to really put it through its paces, and can safely say it's the most breathable mask around. Although, we'll never love wearing a face mask whilst running uphill that's for sure.
- Designer collection in botanical, £17.95 from Pacamask – buy here
- Colour collection in grey, £17.95 from Pacamask – buy here
- Colour collection in pink, £17.95 from Pacamask – buy here
- Designer collection in tiedye, £17.95 from Pacamask – buy here
UK-based brand Pacamask has a really simple and easy-to-use website for their mask offering, which makes shopping a doddle.
Simply decide between colour (a solid block design) or designer (patterns and prints), and you'll be presented with a relevant selection to choose from in adult or child size, as well as savings for buying in bulk.
Each mask is made from Silver Ion treated material too, which, although won't necessarily offer additional protection against Covid, is scientifically proven to kill 99% of bacteria for up to 50 washes.
- White mask, £15 from Ally – buy here
- Blush pink mask, £15 from Ally – buy here
- Blue mask, £15 from Ally – buy here
- HEROES limited edition PROTECT THE NHS mask, £15 from Ally – buy here
- Peacoat Blue mask, £15 from Ally – buy here
Ally's face coverings have nanofiber filters sewn into each mask, which blocks up to 95 per cent of airborne particles— compared to the 30 to 40 per cent offered by standard cotton masks. They're also effective for up to 20 washes and come with a handy resealable ziplock back to store your mask away when you don't need it.
Available in adults and kids sizes, these simple masks come in a choice of plain block colours, or limited edition 'heroes' designs if you want to show your solidarity with NHS workers.
100 per cent of profits from the latter will be donated to NHS workers charity, HEROES: an organisation that is providing a lifeline to NHS workers at a time of cuts and underfunding.
7. Amazon's Face Mask Store
- Top left: Sanetta Face Mask in white (lips), £15.76 from Amazon – buy here
- Top right: Urban Classics Skull Face Mask, £17.64 from Amazon – buy here
- Bottom left: Sanetta Unisex Face Mask (stripe), £18.98 from Amazon – buy here
- Bottom right: Sanetta Face Mask in white (faces), £19.74 from Amazon – buy here
Struggling to wade through the many choices of face masks out there? Amazon's nifty Face Mask Store is handily organised, allowing you to shop by mask type (reusable, disposable, medical certified, PPE) and pack size.
We're particularly loving the Sanetta range of fashion masks, which come in a range of playful designs including the lips graphic — perfect for adding a touch of humour in times like this.
- 2-Pack Face mask, available in a range of colours, £15 from Falke – buy here
Legwear, sport and fashion brand, Falke, is a go-to for premium hosiery, so naturally, you can expect its face masks to be of high-quality and construction.
The German brand promises the masks are especially suitable for glasses wearers, while the quick-drying material makes them ideal for quick reuse.
Crafted from a two-layer fabric, the outside of the mask is moisture-repellent, while the inside is moisture-absorbing. It's also washable at 95°C and comes in an array of bright hues and classic shades.
- Large adjustable face mask in marine blue, £6 from Paisie – buy here
- Adjustable face mask in light grey, £6 from Paisie – buy here
- Adjustable face mask in light pink, £6 from Paisie – buy here
- Adjustable face mask in red, £6 from Paisie – buy here
London-based womenswear brand, Paisie, has created a stylish line of face masks at cost price, to help reduce the rate of the virus transmission.
Available in a range of jewel tones and stripe designs, they're designed using the company's offcuts of cotton to make production as sustainable as possible.
Each mask features wiring around the nose, elastic loops and a two-layer fabric to allow you to insert your own filter.
- Top left: EverydayBasicss 4 Layer Cotton Face Mask with Filter Pocket, £6.99 from Etsy – buy here
- Top right: Face Covering with Filter Pocket & Nose Wire, £6.99 from Etsy – buy here
- Bottom left: FaceMaskSupply Washable Face Mask with Filter, £14.95 from Etsy – buy here
- Bottom right: Linen face mask for hot weather by HeyJanuary, £8.27 from Etsy – buy here
For masks that are not only reusable but also support independent sellers, Etsy is a great place to shop.
Want to make a statement with your mask? This leopard print style by AALTRADE is sure to stand out. If the idea of wearing a face mask in the summer makes you claustrophobic just thinking about it, HeyJanuary's face masks promise to be breathable and cooler, thanks to the linen fabrication.
Meanwhile, if you're looking to pay a nod to the SS20 runways, you can nail this season's tropical trend with FaceMaskSupply's eye-catching face mask. Or for something more plain and discreet, this plain and simple style by EverydayBasicss is the one—plus, each sale includes a 50p donation towards NHS staff and volunteer support.
11. Oliver Bonas
- Reusable Plain Fabric Face Coverings Set of Three, £14 from Oliver Bonas – buy here
- Reusable Chambray & Striped Face Coverings Set of Three, £16 from Oliver Bonas – buy here
Oliver Bonas's filter-pocket face masks come in a selection of colourways, with fabric loops to go over your ears.
Machine washable and in packs of three, these sets are ideal for wearing throughout the week, making it super-easy to wear a fresh mask after each use.
You'll also be doing good as you follow the rules: £4 from each sale goes to the charity UK Youth, which helps young people access a range of youth services.
- Geometric mask, £17 from Vistaprint – buy here
- Sunrise mask, £17 from Vistaprint – buy here
- Floral pink mask, £17 from Vistaprint – buy here
- Flames mask, £17 from Vistaprint – buy here
- Sketched mask, £17 from Vistaprint – buy here
Designed with a replaceable filter system, Vistaprint's face masks promise a breathable and stretchy fit, with materials that wick away moisture.
The printing company will donate to local communities impacted by the coronavirus for every sale of these masks, and also have a range available for kids ages 4 and up.
Plus, not only do they look great but they're latex-free and machine washable.
The filters can be used for 12 hours, with packs of ten on offer for £6.
13. ASOS DESIGN's 2 Pack Face Covering in Cherub and Mystic Print
- ASOS Design 2 pack face covering in cherub and mystic print, £12 from ASOS – buy here
You can always rely on ASOS Design to deliver trend-led pieces so it's no surprise their face mask offering is so eye-catching.
This pack of two masks features a cherub design on one and a starry, 'mystic' print on the other – and let's face it, we could all do with a little magic right now.
With a double-layer construction and adjustable fit, every purchase of these masks also includes a £1 donation to Oxfam’s Coronavirus Emergency Response Appeal.
14. Hype's 3 pack face covering
- Hype 3 pack face covering, £24.99 from ASOS – buy here
Calling all print lovers: Hype's 3-pack of printed face masks has a pure cotton lining and linen-polyester blend outer.
These masks come in a selection of fab prints sure to leave you smiling.
They're also washable and adjustable – and Hype has a good selection of kids' masks, too.
15. Outerknown's Indigo Tie-dye Mask 3-pack
- Indigo Tie-dye Mask 3-pack, £30 from Outerknown – buy here
Surfer Kelly Slater's brand, Outerknown, is brilliant for its quality, sustainable fabrics and is now producing face masks in a cool tie-dye print.
Made from 100% GOTS certified organic cotton, each mask is hand-dyed with non-toxic indigo and comes in one size which can be adjusted by tightening the elastic with a knot.
These masks are machine washable and also available in kids size.
16. Boden's 3 Pack of Face Coverings
- Three pack of face masks, £20 from Boden – buy here
Looking for an ultra-eco option? Boden's pack of three face masks are made using the ends of fabric rolls to minimise any waste. £5 from each pack is also donated to NHS support charity Helpforce, with an amazing £1,000,000 worth of clothes donated so far.
Each set of these pretty masks come in a mystery mix of colours and prints. They're machine washable at 60ºC and include a wire across the nose that allows you to fit each mask to your face.
17. MANGO's Reusable Homologated Mask
- Reusable homologated mask, £12.99 from MANGO – buy here
Spanish fashion brand MANGO was the first high street name to start selling reusable face masks, with their AITEX approved masks going on sale back at the end of May.
Guaranteeing 90% filtration efficiency and 60% breathability, they're reusable for up to 10 washes and come in a choice of three designs.
We're loving the abstract giraffe style print of this mask, which will add a splash of interest to your outfit.
18. ASOS DESIGN's 2 Pack Face Coverings in Baroque and Slogan Prints
- ASOS DESIGN 2 pack face coverings in baroque and slogan prints, £12 from ASOS – buy here
This pack of two face masks includes a black slogan design and colourful baroque print for those moments when you want to make your mask more of a statement accessory. Hey, it's 2020 – that's how we roll now.
Choose from the monochrome option when you want to keep things looking cool and laidback, or enjoy rocking a mask that looks like it was designed by a Versace sibling.
The double-layer construction and adjustable toggles ensure a comfy fit.
You can't say fairer than that – especially considering every purchase of these masks also includes a £1 donation to Oxfam’s Coronavirus Emergency Response Appeal.
19. Reformation's 5 x Face Masks
- 5 X Masks, £28 from Reformation – buy here
This five-pack of reusable masks by Reformation is ideal for buying for your household. Described as a 'lightweight drapey crepe fabric', the masks vary in print and colour, depending on the fabric Reformation have on hand.
And if their usual array of beautiful patterns and hues are anything to go by, you can expect these masks to be as pretty as they are practical.
20. Saint James's Set of 2 Reusable Masks in Striped Cotton
- Set of 2 Reusable Masks in Striped Cotton, £40 from Saint James – buy here
'Stay safe in stripes' declares the description of this pair of face masks, and we couldn't agree more.
Crafted from the same cotton as the iconic French clothing brand's sailor jerseys, these masks will add a touch of nautical style wherever you wear them, and are guaranteed for 10 washes.
21. Brora's Cotton Face Mask in Liberty Fabric
- Cotton Face Mask in Liberty Fabric, £19 from Brora – buy here
Another brand giving back, British cashmere brand, Brora, has raised an amazing £100,000 for NHS Charities Together through the sales of their pretty face masks.
Now they've hit their target, they're donating £10 from every mask sold to other charities supporting those affected by Covid-19.
Made using Liberty print, each mask has elastic ear straps, an adjustable nose clip and comes in various patterns.
22. Melifluo's Reusable Face Mask With Filter Pocket
- Melifluo reusable face mask with filter pocket, £12.99 from Amazon – buy here
Comfort may not be the first thing you associate with face masks, but if you shop around and check reviews you'll be surprised at how comfy some are in comparison to others.
Melifluo masks have been rated by reviewers for their quality and breathability, with one user praising the adjustable features for being easy to use 'without being bulky and uncomfortable.'
It also has a filter pocket so you can add a non-woven filter to it.
23. Alice and Olivia's Protective Face Mask
- Protective Face Mask, £10.92 from Alice and Olivia – buy here
New York clothing company Alice and Olivia are another brand doing something positive through the sale of face masks.
They've been donating $1 from every purchase of this striking covering to Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry campaign, which provides meals to children in need.
Available in three colourways, we're particularly loving this Rainbow Stace Squad iteration, which is perfect for showing off quirky style.
24. Mimi & Lula's Polka Dot Print Cotton Face Covering, Ages 3-10
- Polka dot print face-covering ages 3-10 by Mimi & Lula, £8 from Selfridges – buy here
What kid doesn't love polka dots? This cute face mask by Mimi & Lula is suitable for ages three to 10, and features elasticated adjustable ear straps and an inner pocket to place your own optional filter.
Crafted from cotton, it's fitted with a 3D nose and chin structure for a good fit and is water-resistant on the outside.
25. Style Cheat 5 Pack Animal Print
- Style Cheat 5 Pack Animal Print, £45 from Style Cheat – buy here
Style Cheat has a large range of washable face masks to choose from.
Whether you're after plain, floral, animal print or polka dot prints, they have them all.
Choose an individual mask, or purchase one of their value-for-money packs.
26. Trtl face mask
- Trtl Face Mask, £24.99 from Trtl – buy here
Trtl Protect Mask has three wearable modes and comes in two sizes.
We suggest opting for a plus size one if you have a larger beard, or simply want to use it as a fashion scarf.
The mask features magnetized fold design which comes handy when you want to adjust the mask on the move.
You can simply wash it and re-use it, and you can find more information about the fitting here.
Enjoyed our guide for the best reusable face masks? Why not check out the best personalised jewellery?
We've also rounded up the best summer hats.
And check out more fashion tips from Sun Selects fashion here.
Source: Read Full Article