• Mon. Jan 30th, 2023

Thousands could claim up to £300 in free cash and vouchers – but you have just four weeks to apply | The Sun

Jan 3, 2023

THOUSANDS of households have just weeks left to get a cash boost this month to help them with the cost of living.

The help comes via the Household Support Fund (HSF) which is worth £421million.

The fund was set up by the government and has been allocated to councils across England to distribute to residents in need.

There's no set criteria on who is eligible for the help as it depends on where you live, but generally, money is given to families on low incomes or benefits.

But tens of thousands of households have just four weeks left to apply for the support.

Households in Nottinghamshirehave until January 31 to £180 free cash paid directly into their bank accounts.


Freebies and discounts you can get on Universal Credit or other benefits

Millions of households on Universal Credit are having their payments reduced

Meanwhile, Harrow Council is handing out up to £300 in free cash to households – with just weeks left to the deadline.

And there are plenty of other areas handing out help to residents in January, but you'll want to make a note of these fast-approaching deadlines.


Cash-strapped households in the Nottinghamshire City Council catchment area can get help to cover the costs of food and energy bills this winter.

Households can get £90 for each child claiming free school meals – £30 towards food costs and £60 for covering energy costs.

Most read in Money


Wetherspoons is making a major change to prices today


8m households will receive govt cash payment to help with cost of living


Urgent search for two mystery winners who scooped £1.8m in New Year's Eve draw


Freebies and discounts you can get on Universal Credit or other benefits

If the household has more than one child eligible for free school meals, the household will receive an additional £30 per child towards their food costs.

For example, two eligible children can get £120 in support.

Three children could get £150, while households with four children could get £180 in support.

But if you think you may be eligible, you only have until January 31 to apply.

Eligible households can apply for the payment from now by completing an online form on the council's website.

If anyone is unable to complete the form, they should contact the council’s customer service team.

It's best to check in with Nottinghamshire County Council's website to get more information about the scheme and to see if you are eligible.

Make sure you have information to hand about your financial situation, like any payslips or benefit payments you get.


Harrow Council is offering 750 households one-off cash payments worth £300 direct into their bank accounts.

But the scheme is only open for eligible residents until January 31, so you'll need to apply soon.

The council only has a limited amount of cash as well so you should apply sooner rather than later to avoid missing out.

To get the £300 payment, you have to meet certain eligibility criteria.

You must be responsible for paying for energy in the property you live in and no one else in your household can have received help via the Household Support Fund before.

Plus, if you've already received the £650 cost of living payment or £150 disability cost of living payment you won't be eligible.

And you have to meet a number of other criteria, including receiving certain benefits.

For the full details, you should check out Harrow Council's website.


York City Council has started writing to over 3,000 potentially eligible families, inviting them to apply directly between now and Thursday, January 19.

They could receive one-off payments of between £200 and £300.

Successful applicants will receive these direct payments early in the new year.


households in Tandridge, Surrey, can apply for help worth up to £300.

Thousands are eligible to apply for the fund across the country.

Single households will receive £100 and multiple residents in the same household will receive £300.

But you must hit certain criteria to be eligible. You must:

  • be over the age of 16
  • live in the Tandridge district
  • be in financial difficulty and struggling to meet the cost of essential items like food, fuel or energy bills for themselves or their dependents
  • not have already received a grant from the Household Support Fund

Tandridge Council is urging eligible households to apply quickly as the funding pot will close as soon as it's been used up.

The council will tell you once a decision has been made and then payment will be made into your bank account via direct debit by the end of January 2023.

Households will need a number of personal details to hand when applying, including contact details, date of birth, National Insurance number and bank details.

You'll need to upload three months of bank statements from September to November this year too.

You can apply on the council's website, or call 01883 722000 if you don't have access to the internet.


Cash-strapped households in the Peterborough City Council can get £35 towards their weekly shop.

Households can get one voucher for each child claiming free school meals, 2-year-olds accessing funded childcare, students eligible for a 16 to 19 bursary, or 3 and 4-year-olds receiving the Early Years Pupil Premium benefit.

Any child eligible for the support by January 2, 2023, will be able to claim a voucher.

The vouchers will be issued by midnight on Saturday, December 17, by either text or email.

Peterborough City Council said the voucher does not need to be spent on a single shopping trip, but it has to be redeemed by January 27, 2023.

It's best to check in with Peterborough City Council to get more information about the scheme and if you are eligible.

Make sure you have information to hand about your financial situation, like any payslips or benefit payments you get.

Am I eligible if I live outside these areas?

Yes, but what you'll be entitled to will depend on where you live.

Each council is deciding how they allocate their portion of the fund and who to.

But, in most circumstances, the money is given to households receiving benefits or on low incomes.

Some councils distribute the cash automatically and in some areas you have to apply for help.

It might come via vouchers for food or as a simple bank transfer.

Read More on The Sun

Woman shares huge pile of Christmas gifts her sister received

Gemma Collins breaks down in tears and left shaking with emotion on holiday

If you don't know what council area you fall under, you can use the government's locator tool on its website.

Then you can contact your local council to find out what help you might be in line for.

Do you have a money problem that needs sorting? Get in touch by emailing [email protected]

Source: Read Full Article